Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Night Portraits with Emily and Jason.

IMG_0955

Thank you Emily and Jason for being my test subjects for this project.  Shooting in low light(or next to no light in the case) is very difficult and I thought it would be a great learning experience to try it out and share with all of you.  Bellow is a pic showing just using the ambient lights.
More after the jump:


Bellow is a pic showing just using the ambient lights. As you can see there wasn't much light to work with at this location.
IMG_1000
This took place at a city park just after midnight.  I decided to switch to black an white since the ambient light and flash were clashing pretty bad.  For the the picture bellow I used the street lights as a hair/rim light and a Canon 430 ex II sporting a 28" Westcott Apollo soft box as the main light.

IMG_0942

To be completely honest about 80% of the pictures came out blurry.  Nailing focus under very low light is fairly difficult.  The camera's autofocus needs some contrast to work.  There's a few things you can do to make things easier.
1.  Stick the camera on a tripod.
2.  Bring a flashlight!  I had Emily shine the flashlight on her face so I could get good focus. She hid the light in  her pocket and I took the picture. 


IMG_0930
The next night time photo-shoot is going to be in the city. If you live near Puyallup or Downtown Tacoma and want some nice night time city shots let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment